Friday, April 11, 2014

Boundless Power, Boundless Love


God's Boundless Power

Job 26:5-14 - The dead tremble, those under the waters and those inhabiting them.  Sheol is naked before Him and destruction has no covering.  He stretches out the north over empty space; He hangs the earth over nothing.  He binds up the water in His thick clouds, yet the clouds are not broken under it.  He covers the face of His throne, and spreads His cloud over it.  He drew a circular horizon on the face of the waters, at the boundary of light and darkness.  The pillars of heaven tremble, and are astonished at His rebuke.  He stirs up the sea with His power, and by His understanding He breaks up the storm.  By His Spirit He adorned the heavens; His hand pierced the fleeing serpent.  Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him!  But the thunder of His power who can understand?

We could spend all day picking out individual examples of God’s great power, but I think it is best demonstrated through the creation of, well, EVERYTHING.

John 1:3 - All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.  

Psalms 102:25 - Of old You laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands.

Nehemiah 9:6 - You alone are the Lord God; You have made heaven, the heaven of heavens with all their host, the earth and everything on it, the seas and all that is in them, and you preserve them all...
God’s Boundless Love

With all this power, you would think that God would look down on humanity as insignificant, as we do to the insects.  But instead, God loves us.

Matthew 10:29-31 Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Even before we were born, God knew us and loved us.  We can’t go anywhere or do anything without Him watching us.  This should be a comforting thought, that our Creator is always looking out for us.

Psalm 139

O LORD, You have searched me and known me.
You know my sitting down and my rising up;
You understand my thought afar off.
You comprehend my path and my lying down,
And are acquainted with all my ways.
For there is not a word on my tongue,
But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether.
 You have hedged me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is high, I cannot attain it.
Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
If I take the wings of the morning,
And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there Your hand shall lead me,

And Your right hand shall hold me.

If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall on me,”
Even the night shall be light about me;
Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You,
But the night shines as the day;
The darkness and the light are both alike to You.
For You formed my inward parts;
 You covered me in my mother’s womb.
I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
 And that my soul knows very well.
 My frame was not hidden from You,
 When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.
How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How great is the sum of them!
If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand;
When I awake, I am still with You. 

His love is so great for us that He was willing to offer up His only Son so that we might be saved from our sins.

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

The reason Jesus died was so that we could be forgiven of our sins.  We read in Isaiah that our iniquities separate us from God.

Whenever we sin, there is a rift created between us and God.

When we sin, we willingly turn our back to God by doing things that are contrary to His will, His Word and His Law.

When we sin, we basically spit on the sacrifice of Jesus and His love for us.

How could God possibly forgive us?


This is an old illustration, but nonetheless apt:

If someone was to offer you a $100 bill, you would take it.  Even if it was folded, crinkled, creased, stepped on and put through all kinds of abuse, wouldn't you still take it?

Why?  Because you see value in that $100 bill!

Likewise, on a much deeper level, God sees value in us.

He sees potential for great things.  He longs for us love Him, to serve Him, and to be with Him for eternity.

Conclusion 

Mark 10:27 - But Jesus looked at them and said, “With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.”

Knowing that God is so powerful that all things are possible, one of the things that amazes me is to hear someone say is that they have done something so bad that they don’t think even God could forgive them.  If God is powerful enough to do all of the things mentioned in the Bible, then He is certainly powerful enough to forgive and forget sin.

No sin is “too big” or “too bad” for God to forgive, nor is any person “too lost” to be saved!

No comments:

Post a Comment