Monday, February 16, 2015

(Late) New Year's Resolutions and Bible Reading Plan 2015 (Or Whenever)


I don't know about you, but for me it's just now setting in that it's actually 2015!  

So, suffice to say, I've got some catching up to do on my New Year's resolutions...

Normally, I'm not one to make resolutions.  Such things have always struck me as being a bit superficial.  

However, I was recently reminded by a friend of the power that the right kind of resolution can have, especially if one sticks it out and musters the resolve to see it through: 

She recounted to me that last year she decided to make a simple change, to listen only to Christian radio while commuting.  At first she struggled to do this day in and day out (missing the familiarity of her usual pop/rock favorites), she muscled through it and managed to make it through the whole year.  While she admitted that it all sounds kind of cheesy, she told me that she noticed subtle changes in her attitude.  She found herself, in situations in which she would normally be frustrated (road rage), having a more forgiving and merciful attitude toward her fellow travelers on her route.  Driving in her car, which used to be a menial chore of sorts, became a time of quiet reflection in which she redirected her focus to God.  

Ultimately, my friend realized the positive and profound outcome that this seemingly insignificant resolution made on her relationship with God.  

Hopefully not, but by now many have likely forgotten or given up on any resolutions that they made.  I'd like to encourage you to give any resolution you might have made another shot, especially if it's one that will strengthen your walk of faith.  

If you're like me and never made a resolution to begin with, I have a suggestion for you...

1 Timothy 4:13 - Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

I'm embarrassed to admit, that as long as I have been a Christian I have never actually read the Bible in its entirety.  I consider myself to be very familiar with God's Word and regularly apply myself to studies of the Scripture, but for whatever reason I've never read the thing cover-to-cover.  

I'm feeling particularly inspired by my friend's story, but since it's too late to make a resolution at this point, I'll make a pledge instead and take the plunge.  I pledge to actually read the Bible in its entirety this year.  Of course, you are more than welcome to tag along!

The following is a link to a great resource that I would like to recommend called "Read the Bible in a Year": http://www.ewordtoday.com/year/

After clicking on the link you will find that you are presented with a variety of options.  You get to choose the translation you prefer as well as the type of plan you would like to follow (Chronological, a mixture of Old and New Testament, etc..).  

As great as all that is I think the best thing is that the site develops a plan based on a date of your choice, not pinning you down to a plan that started back on the 1st of January.  Not only that, but you can click on the link entitled "Go to Today's Reading" and it will conveniently direct you to the appropriate section of verses.  

Just use the link in your browser's address bar to create a shortcut or a bookmark on your computer, tablet, or phone for easy access each day.

With all of this convenience, it might become very easy to forget or put off your daily readings, but I encourage you to stick with it and make it a routine.  In doing so, before long it will become second nature.  I plan on doing my readings in the morning just before I do my morning prayers.

I hope this post has been beneficial and, again, I encourage you to join in!

No comments:

Post a Comment